Updated February 2, 2018
Prayer is primary!
“God will either give us what we ask or give us what we would have asked
if we knew everything He knows.” -- Tim Keller
- Pray for rain! There is prolonged dry spell in Zomba and Lake Chilwa. Acres of maize for most farmers are drying out.
- Pray that God gives the Gogos His Spirit of understanding and fear of the Lord when they watch The Jesus Film and receive Jesus Christ. Pray they begin to live by God's Word. Also, pray God gives them a prayer warrior spirit and love for the children and their grandchildren.
- Pray for the Caregivers (Preschool teachers) who were trained for 2 weeks by Mary Phiri and Brenda Sanama. Pray that they will put into practice all that they learned to benefit the hundreds of children they care for and instruct every day!
- Pray for the parents that Mary Phiri our Director of Early Childhood Development is gathering for meetings in our Community Based Childcare Centers. Pray they will enthusiastically engage to organize support committees to help sustain the CBCCs in their villages.
- Pray for the Primary and Secondary schools that Moira just visited near Lake Chiwa that are among the poorest schools in relatively remote areas -- which despite government promises get almost nothing! Pray for the funding to provided them with Why Wait? Curriculum and Bibles.
- Pray for Natasha Namaona, an orphan girl pressured into an early marriage to a married man. Newly trained Why Wait Teachers helped to rescue her. Natasha will be one of the students we will train to be a peer educator, so that she can use her experience to advise her fellow youth to resist pressures to go into early marriage.
- Pray for our over 110 bursary students who receive school fees but still have huge challenges because of poverty to stay in school.
- Pray for God’s direction as we search for a new Executive Director for SAFE and God’s guidance in the transition for Moira Chimombo who will be retiring from that position next year.
- Pray for our 12 Mailbox Clubs in schools that form after after showing The Story of Jesus for Children film and also the Walking with Jesus film as part of their follow up. Pray that as we win children for Christ and help nurture them, God will also give them intelligence for their studies so they should grow spiritually mature and have Christ centered minds and love God.
- Pray for the Pastors Fellowship groups Lameck has brought together. Pray God will help them to work as a Team, regardless of their denominations and beliefs. Some Pastors fail to be cooperative if they see that there is nothing materially to benefit themselves.
Pray they know that they are called to fulfill The Great Commission of our Lord Jesus Christ -- and that God placed them in their positions for a purpose, and they will be accountable to Him.
- Pray for the Muslim Chief, Chisupuli in Kondanani Village to come to know Jesus as his personal Savior.
Pray for the 6 prisoners who gave their lives to the Lord Jesus Christ during the showing of Magdalena Film on January 21. Pray that God will open the doors at Mikuyu Prison when Lameck goes to seek permission to have the Jesus Film showing and an evangelism outreach there. Also, pray that after Lameck’s visits to the prison SAFE will have permission to train prison school teachers to teach WHY WAIT? in the prison.
- Pray for Dick Day as he puts the 6 A's of Positive Parenting into a small pamphlet, to be translated into Chichewa with success stories. This parenting training is improving the way parents and gogos are relating to their children in wonderful, surprising ways!
- Pray for the WHY WAIT? Truth for Youth curriculum to continue to gain favor in the schools in 2018. The HIV/AIDs infection rate is still over 10%!
- Pray for favor and a GOOD Memorandum of Understanding with the City of Zomba about the expansion of our SAFE Haven ministry on park property. We hope to see another classroom, library and permanent sports fields added for the children being tutored and discipled.
- Pray for our 5 new Teen Mother Clubs that gather for sharing, encouragement and Bible study.
- Pray for our many gogo groups in Malawi to grow in their love and knowledge of the Lord and their love for one another. Pray that their leadership would be faithful, effective and wise and that they teach sound doctrine so they and the children will not be led astray.
- Pray for our Gogo Groups here in the US who need God's wisdom and strength to persevere in the good work they are doing!
- Pray for each of our SAFE staff:
Prof. Moira Chimombo, Executive Director
Prof. Dick Day, SAFE International Coordinator
Charlotte Day, SAFE International ECD and Gogo Grandmothers Coordinator
Mary Phiri, Director of ECD & Gogo Grandmothers
Benjamin Khoswe, Director of Finance and Administration
Precious Ntibula, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Catherine Cheonga, Regional Education Coordinator
Lameck Kananji, Jesus Film Coordinator
Aaron Gondwe, SAFE Haven Supervisor
Brenda Lisimb, Community Supervisor-Zomba
Michael Mvundula Khumalo, Community Supervisor-Kachindamoto
Timaleni Biswick, Accounts Assistant
Sydney Kapindu, Driver
Thank God For…
- Our SAFE Life Youth Clubs that are bringing youth to Christ and helping them to grow in their faith and abilities. When Cathy Cheonga visited the Simiyoni SLY Club over 40 youth were gathered and sharing what they had memorized -- and one girl recited all of Psalm 92 perfectly!
- For more solar lights given to orphaned students so they can have light to study at night!
- For the 12 schools where 100 teachers went through the Why Wait? training and where students will soon begin to reap the benefit of this biblical worldview life-skills teaching.
- Our SAFE-Africa/Gogo Grandmothers Board of Directors retreat January 13-15 that allowed us time to pray and do strategic planning together.
- Moira Chimombo (SAFE’s Executive Director) shared this praise, “The Zomba Why Wait? Life Skills Curriculum workshop to train 100 teachers in 12 schools was one of the BEST Cathy Cheonga and I have ever conducted.”
- Over the Christmas break Mary Phiri (Director of ECD and Gogo Grandmothers) was able to successfully move into her new home that was built in Kondanani Village.
- Funding assistance to build fuel-efficient stoves is beginning for our SAFE Life Youth Clubs in villages. They hope to build fuel-efficient stoves for the gogos. This will give them a chance to minister to the community about the love of Christ and help stop deforestation at the same time.
- SAFE staff mobilized and distributed the money for fertilizer and seed early to 2,287 very needy Gogos -- God brought in the funds to cover this expenditure by New Year’s Eve!
- Mothers' Clubs in the villages are encouraging and counseling girls to go back to school. Over 60 girls— who are in child marriages or who are child mothers are back in school.
4-day Parenting courses are being held in our villages where mothers and their families are joyfully beginning to put healthy Biblical principals to work in their homes.
- Increased enrollments in our Community Based Childcare Centers (preschools) are making a difference in many more children’s lives!
- The new CBCC being built in Kawiya Tikondane is almost done!
- Huge Praise! Charlotte Day’s wound on her leg is finally healed!